I love to use fresh vegetables from my garden in this delicious dish. My whole family loves the recipe.—Michele Ridenour, Oswego, Illinois
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini and oregano. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Garbanzo Beans 'N' Rice in Country Woman May/June 2002, p37
Reviews for Garbanzo Beans 'N' Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 27, 2015
"I make this exactly as written and my family gobbles it up! I've had this recipe in regular rotation for a few years now. It's an easy way to get my kid to eat his veggies!"
Reviewed Apr. 10, 2015
"My family loved this!"