I love to use fresh vegetables from my garden in this delicious dish. My whole family loves the recipe.—Michele Ridenour, Oswego, Illinois
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini and oregano. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Garbanzo Beans 'N' Rice in Country Woman May/June 2002, p37
Reviews for Garbanzo Beans 'N' Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 27, 2015
"I make this exactly as written and my family gobbles it up! I've had this recipe in regular rotation for a few years now. It's an easy way to get my kid to eat his veggies!"
Reviewed Apr. 10, 2015
"My family loved this!"