Garbanzo Bean Salad with Citrusy Dressing Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Leaf lettuce
- 1. In a bowl, combine the beans, onion, parsley and mint. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, oil, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve on lettuce-lined plates. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup) equals 167 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 616 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.