Garbanzo Bean Salad
The recipe for this simple bean salad comes from Donna Smith of Victor, New York. Her refreshing side gets extra zest from fresh herbs and a citrusy dressing. Chilling it lets the flavors blend...and gives you time to tend to the rest of the meal.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Leaf lettuce
- In a bowl, combine the beans, onion, parsley and mint. In a jar with
- a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, oil, garlic, sugar,
- salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover
- and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve on lettuce-lined plates.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 167 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 616 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.