Garbanzo Bean Pitas Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fat-free ranch salad dressing, optional
- 1. In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients; cover and process until blended. Spoon 1/3 cup bean mixture into each pita half. Top with lettuce, cucumber and tomato. Serve with ranch dressing if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 filled pita half equals 241 calories, 6 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 552 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.