Garbanzo Bean Medley
I'm a vegetarian looking for tasty dishes without meat. This Italian bean recipe is fast, flavorful and filling. I serve it as a side dish, but it's good as a main course as well. Sprinkle feta cheese on top for a change of pace.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a small skillet, saute zucchini in oil until tender. Add garlic;
- saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, Italian
- seasoning and pepper flakes if desired; heat through. Sprinkle with
- cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 157 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 354 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.