- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 6 slices reduced-fat process American cheese product
- Dill pickle slices, fat-free mayonnaise and ketchup, optional
- Place the beans, water and lemon juice in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, egg and seasonings and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- In a large skillet, cook patties in oil in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on buns with cheese. Top with pickle slices, mayonnaise and ketchup if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Garbanzo Bean Burgers
"My anti - veggie kids each ate 2 for dinner! We told them it was chicken. They loved it."
"I make these frequently. They are inexpensive, quick, and taste wonderful."
"I make these for my husband and myself all the time. We add a little mozzarella (about 1/3 cup) into the mix which moistens the burger. Sometimes we top it with marinara sauce instead of the usual burger toppings for an Italian twist."
"These are delicious!! Yes they are small, only 2.4 ounces each (per patty). So I doubled one for my husband. He said he didn't miss the meat, I am a vegetarian so I never miss the meat. Few changes, I used 2 egg whites vs. one whole egg, I used whole wheat bread crumbs, I doubled the garlic powder (only because I love garlic). Will definitely make again (super quick recipe)."
"opps! I meant 'slider'!!"