“These meatless burgers are totally awesome. I think I’d rather have one than any cheeseburger at a restaurant. They really rock!” Need we say more? —Berea Rider, East Point, Kentucky
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 6 slices reduced-fat process American cheese product
- Dill pickle slices, fat-free mayonnaise and ketchup, optional
- Place the beans, water and lemon juice in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, egg and seasonings and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- In a large skillet, cook patties in oil in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on buns with cheese. Top with pickle slices, mayonnaise and ketchup if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Garbanzo Bean Burgers in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p57
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Garbanzo Bean Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review