Ganache-Topped Chocolate Cake Recipe
Although this cake looks very elegant and like something you'd only serve at special occasions, it's really, really easy. As one of our Test Kitchen Professionals put it, “It's the easiest cake you could ever make.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 2 ounces 53% cacao dark baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces 53% cacao dark baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. Place chocolate and butter in a large bowl; add boiling water and stir until smooth. Stir in the sugar, buttermilk, egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; beat into chocolate mixture just until blended.
- 2. Transfer to a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Place rack on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- 3. For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 4. Slowly pour ganache over cake, allowing some ganache to drape over the sides. Refrigerate until serving. Cut into wedges. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 179 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC