Game Day Miniature Peppers Recipe
- 8 each miniature sweet red, orange and yellow peppers
- 4 ounces ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut and reserve tops off peppers; remove seeds. Cut thin slices from pepper bottoms to level; set aside peppers.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook the turkey, mushrooms, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3. Stir in 1/4 cup tomato sauce, rice, cheeses and seasonings; spoon into peppers. Place upright in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over peppers; replace pepper tops. Cover and bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until heated through and peppers are crisp-tender. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 23 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.