- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (13-1/2 ounces) smoked beef sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (8 ounces) jambalaya mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) dirty rice mix
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until browned. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, brown sausage over medium heat; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Heat remaining butter in same pan over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in stock, water, tomatoes and rice mixes. Return chicken and sausage to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Game Day Gumbo
Sort By :
"It had a lot of flavor. I thought it was good."
"Good but salty."
"Use okra and add seafood, cut back on the flour. Okra is a natural thickener."
"I usually don't like jambalaya type dishes but this was very good."
"Delicious Gumbo! I agree that it gets a little thick. The rice just soaks up the liquid. Adding chicken broth to get some juices back works perfectly."