- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (13-1/2 ounces) smoked beef sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (8 ounces) jambalaya mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) dirty rice mix
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until browned. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, brown sausage over medium heat; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Heat remaining butter in same pan over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in stock, water, tomatoes and rice mixes. Return chicken and sausage to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Game Day Gumbo
Sort By :
This recipe is awesome, but I gotta have okra in my gumbo. With the addition of okra it is perfect!
This was a fantastic recipe! Gumbo is a dish that I love to order out but hadn't found a recipe that I loved to use at home until this one. I made it the day before and refrigerated overnight for a heat and eat easy Sunday dinner. It was pretty thick the next day but I just added some chicken broth when I reheated it. The flavor was spot on. My company and family loved it!
This turned out GREAT! It was so good. My husband loved it too. It's easy to make. I will make this one again and again...