Funnel Cakes Recipe
These funnel cakes are much simpler to make than doughnuts, but taste just as good. They have been a favorite of ours since we came across them living in the Ozarks. —Mary Faith Yoder, Unity, Wisconsin
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, water and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture until smooth. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- 2. Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup batter into the funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the oil, release your finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all the batter is released (scraping with a rubber spatula if needed).
- 3. Fry 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve warm. Yield: 8 cakes.
1 each equals 316 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC