- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, water and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture until smooth. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup batter into the funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the oil, release your finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all the batter is released, scraping with a rubber spatula if needed.
- Fry 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve warm. Yield: 8 cakes.
Reviews for Funnel Cakes
"What a treat to have fair food at home! These are easy to make and the batter will keep for a day or two in the refrigerator. I used a frying pan with high sides because I have neither a deep fat fryer or electric skillet. They were perfect. It helps if you have someone ladling the batter into the funnel if your funnel is small. We will definitely be making these again!"
"Turned out great. Served it with vanilla ice cream and caramel topping!!!! Delish!!! ??"
"It's easy to make it and very good!"
"These are just like what you get at the fair. They are simple and so easy to make! Using a squeeze bottle or pouring from a spouted cup is easier to do than using the funnel, though."
"Awesome ! My family loves them every time"