These are a cinch to bake—and even more fun to decorate! Our Test Kitchen staff turned out a pair of not-so-scary aliens, but you can let the kids top their cakes any way they want.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Recommended: 10 Fun Treats for Fall
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Green gel food coloring or color of your choice, optional
- Assorted candies of your choice: Pretzel sticks, Tic Tacs, Life Savers, red string licorice, Tart'n'Tinys, Chuckles, and Peanut M&M's
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Tint the frosting with food coloring if desired. Frost the cupcakes and decorate as desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Fun Party Cupcakes in Taste of Home Cupcakes & Muffins 2007, p17