Fun Fish Pastries Recipe
Kids and grown-ups alike will be hooked on these crab-stuffed pastries with their deliciously fishy shape. The knife-and-fork sandwiches are fun to dip into the cheesy sauce.—Mary Balkavich, Tyrone, Pennsylvania
- 1 can (6 ounces) lump crabmeat, drained, or light tuna in water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 slice part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 pitted ripe olive, chopped
- Curly endive and fresh blueberries, optional
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the crab, egg yolk, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Stir in cheese; set aside.
- 2. For pastry, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine tomato juice and Worcestershire sauce; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 times.
- 3. Divide dough into 22 equal pieces. Pat or roll each piece into a 4-in. circle, 1/4-in. thick.
- 4. Place eight circles among two greased baking sheets. Place a heaping tablespoonful of filling in the center of each circle.
- 5. For fins and tails, cut six circles into fourths. Cut lines into each curved side. Place two fins and a tail on each circle on baking sheets, attaching with water. Press onto circles.
- 6. In the remaining eight circles, cut scale shapes into bodies using the small end of a pastry bag coupler. Brush edges with water and place over filling; press to seal. Brush tops of pastries with egg white.
- 7. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. For eyes, cut small circles out of mozzarella using the coupler; place on hot pastries with a piece of olive in the center for pupils. Garnish plates with endive and blueberries if desired.
- 8. In a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted. Serve with pastries. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 cups sauce).
1 fish pastry with 5 tablespoons sauce: 537 calories, 34g fat (11g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Fun Fish Pastries
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC