- In a small bowl, combine the crab, egg yolk, onion powder, garlic
- powder and salt. Stir in cheese; set aside.
- For pastry, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in
- shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine tomato
- juice and Worcestershire sauce; stir into dry ingredients just until
- moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 times.
- Divide dough into 22 equal pieces. Pat or roll each piece into a
- 4-in. circle, 1/4-in. thick.
- Place eight circles among two greased baking sheets. Place a heaping
- tablespoonful of filling in the center of each circle.
- For fins and tails, cut six circles into fourths. Cut lines into each
- curved side. Place two fins and a tail on each circle on baking
- sheets, attaching with water. Press onto circles.
- In the remaining eight circles, cut scale shapes into bodies using
- the small end of a pastry bag coupler. Brush edges with water and
- place over filling; press to seal. Brush tops of pastries with egg
- Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. For eyes,
- cut small circles out of mozzarella using the coupler; place on hot
- pastries with a piece of olive in the center for pupils. Garnish
- plates with endive and blueberries if desired.
- In a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over
- medium heat until cheese is melted. Serve with pastries. Yield: 8
- servings (2-1/2 cups sauce).
This recipe pairs well with a light white wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters White Blend CA
, a crisp flavorful wine with hints of citrus. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $69.99. Order Now