Sweet treats always go over well in my family, especially during the holidays. We think these rich bars-dotted with walnuts, toffee bits, chocolate chips and coconut-are better than candy! They're nice to share with a group since one pan goes a long way.
Recommended: 44 of Our Most Gooey Caramel Desserts
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press firmly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat milk and 1 cup chocolate chips over medium heat until chocolate is melted, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour filling over crust. Sprinkle with the walnuts, coconut, toffee bits and remaining chocolate chips; press down firmly. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Fudgy Toffee Bars in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p31
Reviews for Fudgy Toffee Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 3, 2012
"My husband doesn't like nuts or coconut so I skipped those and the bars were still very good."