Fudgy Pudgy Cake Recipe
"This wonderful layer cake is definitely worth the work," says Doris Jennings of Allen Park, Michigan. "Enjoy a great big piece with a big glass of milk or a cup of coffee!"
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate curls, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine cocoa and hot water until smooth; cool. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir vanilla.
- 2. Pour into three greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool completely. In a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in cooled mixture.
- 4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake.
- 5. For glaze, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in cocoa until smooth. Add milk. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. With an electric mixer, beat in confectioners' sugar until blended. Cool for 15-20 minutes; spread over top of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 649 calories, 29 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 659 mg sodium, 96 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC