- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter until combined. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until puffed and edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies. Spread batter over crust. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For frosting, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Immediately stir in the confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons water and vanilla until smooth. Add remaining water; stir until smooth. Immediately spread over brownies. Cool on a wire rack until firm. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Fudgy Oat Brownies
Sort By :
These were so indulgent. I added chocolate chips to the brownie batter and frosted with peanut butter frosting. They looked very pretty and tasted even better. Great way to jazz up a boxed brownie mix. A winner!
I recall preparing these brownies when they appeared in the 2005 Brownie Contest for Taste of Home! I'd greased and floured my baking pan (13x9x2") and I'd used 3-1/4 cups of confectioners' sugar! I plan to use this recipe again! It's a great recipe to use and for me, it's a keeper! delowenstein
Everyone LOVES these brownies. They disappear in a flash!
This is my all time favorite brownie recipe! I make them a lot for our youth group or church events and I never come home with left overs!
I would not substitute a canned frosting for the glaze the recipe calls for. Totally different textures. The homemade one is nice and thin--you don't want too much more richness on top of these brownies. They're yummy.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Brownies >
- Brownie Bars >
- Brownie Frosting >
- Brownie Mix Recipes >
- Brownie Recipes >
- Chocolate Brownie Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >
- Fudge Brownie Recipes >
- Fudge Brownies >