Fudgy Mint Squares Recipe
I've had this recipe since I was in junior high school. No one can resist the fudgy brownie base, cool minty cheesecake filling and luscious chocolate glaze in these mouthwatering bars.—Heather Campbell, Lawrence, Kansas
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a microwave, melt 8 tablespoons butter and unsweetened chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, beat 2 eggs, sugar and vanilla. Beat in chocolate mixture until blended. Gradually stir in flour.
- 2. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until top is set.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining butter until fluffy. Add cornstarch; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in milk and remaining egg. Beat in extract and food coloring if desired.
- 4. Pour over crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5. In a small heavy saucepan, combine chocolate chips and cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until chips are melted. Cool for 30 minutes or until lukewarm, stirring occasionally. Pour over cream cheese layer. Chill for 2 hours or until set before cutting. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 132 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC