- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 3 cups cold fat-free milk
- 2 packages (1.4 ounces each) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup fat-free hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pumpkin (mixture will be thick). Spread evenly into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pudding; beat until well blended. Spread over cake. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, spread whipped topping over dessert. Drizzle with fudge and caramel toppings; sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Fudgy Chocolate Dessert
"This is a family favorite. They all ask for it to be their Birthday cake!! We don't add the almonds."
"Very moist, but not heavy"
"I decided to make cupcakes with this recipe, and used my own icing (fat-free). It turned out wonderful! Next time I 'load' the cupcake papers though, I will try to flatten the batter before baking. I thought it would spread out to make a smooth top but putting icing on them covered up the bumpy tops! I love the fact there is no fat, no eggs; just start with a basic cake mix. Thank you for allowing us to have this delicious "diabetic friendly" dessert!"
"Made this for a family gathering where I knew one person in attendance was diabetic. She loved it and asked for the recipe, as did everyone else who tried it. No one could believe it had reduced sugar and no eggs or oil! I did make a couple changes to my recipe: I used a devil's food cake mix (which actually was more like 16 oz), a reduced fat cream cheese (instead of fat free), and regular whipped topping. Would definitely make this again! Also, toasting the almonds before you sprinkle them on top really brings out the almond flavor, and only takes about 2 minutes in the oven at a high temp, so it's totally worth the effort."
"So moist and chewy delicious!!!I served it to friends and bible study and all loved it. Today I tried switching it up by adding the pumpkin to a spice cake mix, adding shredded carrots and minced pineapple. Then I switched the chocolated pudding to vanilla. Sprinkled with almonds only, no whip topping needed."
"I haven't made it yet, do you make the cake mix then add the pumpkin, not clear to me, sounds very yummy can't wait to try it."
"Very easy to make! and definitely yummy. I omitted the caramel and almonds because I didn't have them on hand. Still great!"