Almond extract enhances these chocolaty treats without adding calories. “These lightened brownies are fudgy and delicious–no one will realize they’re lower in fat,” says Margaret Wilson of Hemet, California.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the butter and
- chocolate until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar until
- blended. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the egg whites, egg and extract; stir into chocolate mixture
- until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; gradually
- stir into chocolate mixture until blended.
- Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire
- rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 brownie equals 205 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium,