Fudgy Brownie Dessert Recipe
"I came up with this recipe when searching for a low-fat dessert for my chocolate-loving family," recalls Karen Yoder from Bremerton, Washington. "My husband's and son's eyes light up whenever I serve these fudgy brownies topped with a fluffy mousse."
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- BROWNIE CRUST:
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups baking cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg substitute; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, for crust, in a large bowl, combine the applesauce, egg substitute, oil and vanilla. In another large bowl, combine the cocoa, sugar, flour and baking powder. gradually add to applesauce mixture just until blended.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat the chilled chocolate mixture until light. Fold in whipped topping; carefully spread over crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Fudgy Brownie Dessert in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p17
Reviews for Fudgy Brownie Dessert(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 19, 2011
A whole cup and a half of sugar for the receipe? Not really diabetic friendly!
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >