I've tried numerous brownie recipes, but this recipe is the best by far. A well-known baker in our town generously shared the recipe with me.
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat; stir in milk and cocoa until smooth. Return to the heat and bring to a boil; boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Frost warm brownies. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Fudge Walnut Brownies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p80
Reviews for Fudge Walnut Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2014
"Is the number of eggs a typo? 8 eggs?Please email me and let me know if this is the correct number of eggs."
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2010
"This is our favorite brownie recipe, ever! They are the best ones a person could ever hope to make! We ALWAYS use this recipe!"
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2010
"these sound really good, will be trying soon."