Fudge-Topped Shortbread Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine condensed milk and chocolate chips. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 30-60 seconds or until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Stir in extract. Spread over the shortbread. Sprinkle with almonds and press down. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares. Yield: 4 dozen.
2 each: 229 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Fudge-Topped Shortbread
"No fail here. Simple flavors"
"I made a pan of this for a friend and she took it to work. Now her coworkers want it at every pot luck. Easy and delicious. I also made a truffle with the same recipe. I took the shortbread dough and rolled into 3/4 inch balls. Baked them for about 8 minutes. I prepared the chocolate but let it cool for a bit to make it easy to mold around ball. I then rolled that in ground almonds. I chilled then and they were delicious truffles."
"I added a tsp. of almond extract instead of 1/2. Also the second time around sprinkled toffee crumbles on top of the shortbread before baking. So good!"
"At Christmas time I substitute peppermint extract for the almond extract and crushed peppermint candy for the almonds. Beautiful."
"This is just fabulous! It did not last long in my house. It was really simple and easy to make."