Fudge-Topped Shortbread Recipe
"This combination of buttery shortbread and sweet chocolate is wonderful," promises Valarie Wheeler of DeWitt, Michigan. "Whenever I make it, there are nothing but crumbs left," she adds. Be sure to cut these into small squares because they're very rich.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine condensed milk and chocolate chips. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 30-60 seconds or until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Stir in extract. Spread over the shortbread. Sprinkle with almonds and press down. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 229 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC