Fudge Ripple Squares Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Set aside.
- 2. Combine the cocoa, 1/3 cup walnuts and remaining sugar. Spoon a third of the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with half of the cocoa mixture. Dot with half of the butter. Repeat layers; top with remaining batter.
- 3. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 380 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Fudge Ripple Squares
"I expected this bar to be like a blonde brownie, however the texture reminded me of a coffee cake. Not my favorite but it was easy and quick to make."