- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup cold strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons warm strong brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar (about 7-1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 to 4 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, sour cream, coffee, oil, eggs and extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chips. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Gently peel off waxed paper.
- For the syrup, combine the coffee and sugar; brush over the warm cake. Cool completely. Cut cake into three 10-in. x 5-in. portions. For frosting, cream the butter and the shortening in a bowl until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Add the coffee; beat until light and fluffy. Spread 3/4 cup between each layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Originally published as Fudge Mocha Torte in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p43
Reviews for Fudge Mocha Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review