Fudge Meringue Pie Recipe
I have been making and decorating birthday, shower and wedding cakes for over 30 years—and I like to make this recipe for special occasions, too. I've been in charge of the kitchen at our church and prepared a great many large meals.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-2/3 cups evaporated milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pie crust (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1. Sift sugar, flour and cocoa into a medium saucepan. Stir in milk; cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Reduce heat; cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add a small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Cook and stir 1-3 minutes more. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool 5 minutes. Pour into pie crust. Top with nuts and set aside. For meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl until stiff but not dry; set aside. Mix cornstarch and cold water; place in a saucepan along with boiling water and boil until clear. Add lemon juice. Fold into egg whites. Slowly fold in sugar. Spread on top of pie. Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes. Chill well. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 476 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 203 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC