Fudge Layer Cake Recipe
“My mom first made this terrific layer cake in the early 1960s,” recalls Cheryl Feller of Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin. “The date and walnut filling is delicious.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12-14 servings
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- DATE CREAM FILLING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FUDGE FROSTING:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. Line three greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in chocolate. Combine the cake flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, all-purpose flour, milk and egg until smooth. Add the dates. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in walnuts and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate.
- 4. For frosting, combine the cream, sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate and butter until melted. Transfer to a small bowl. Refrigerate until spreadable, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 534 calories, 26 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 431 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC