"I appreciate the ease of baking these oat bars on a busy day, and our children love their fudgy filling," reports Renee Zimmer of Gig Harbor, Washington. "With colorful candies on top, the sweet squares are sure to sell at bake sales."
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup milk chocolate M&M's
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt. Add butter and mix until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips and shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted; stir until smooth.
- Spread over crust; sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Top with M&M's. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Fudge-Filled Bars in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p10
Reviews for Fudge-Filled Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review