- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups crushed chocolate wafers
- Chocolate curls
- Line four 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour
- the pans and paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, honey and
- vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt,
- baking soda and baking powder; add to egg mixture and beat just
- until blended. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile for strawberries, in a microwave, melt chocolate; stir
- until smooth. Dip strawberries in chocolate; allow excess to drip
- off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- For filling, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan,
- bring cream and coffee granules just to a boil. Pour over chocolate;
- whisk until smooth. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until
- ganache reaches a spreading consistency, about 45 minutes.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar
- and cocoa until fluffy. Add cream and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1/2 cup filling;
- arrange 1 cup sliced strawberries over filling. Repeat layers twice.
- Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining filling over top.
- Frost sides and top edge of cake with 4 cups frosting. Press crushed
- wafers into sides of cake; pipe remaining frosting around edges. Top
- with chocolate curls and chocolate-covered strawberries. Refrigerate
- until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
To Make Ahead: Cake layers can be baked the day before serving. Store each layer in a resealable plastic bag at room temperature.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 1,441 calories, 60 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 152 mg cholesterol, 858 mg sodium, 226 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white