True to their name, these rich frosted bars from Inez Orsburn are BIG on chocolate flavor! "My family has enjoyed this special treat for years," relates this avid baker and cake decorator from DeMotte, Indiana.
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for icing, melt butter and chocolate. Transfer to a large bowl. Add half of the confectioners' sugar; mix well.
- Beat in the milk, vanilla and remaining sugar until smooth. Spread over warm brownies. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Fudge Brownies in Taste of Home April/May 1994, p63
Reviews for Fudge Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review