Whilte taking a trip to the Grand Canyon, my family drove through the Navajo reservation and stopped at a little cafe for dinner. I complimented the young Navajo waiter on the delicious bread and he gave me the recipe. It is very easy to make. —Mildred Stephenson, Hartselle, Alabama
2 ServingsPrep: 5 min. + standing Cook: 5 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in
- hot water to form a soft dough. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion
- into a 6-in. circle.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry bread in
- hot oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on
- paper towels. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 fry bread equals 285 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.