Fry Bread Sandwiches
It was traditional for Native American girls in our village to learn to cook at an early age. I made fry bread many times for my father and seven brothers, and after I perfected the recipe, Father said it was the best he'd ever eaten.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + resting Cook: 20 min.
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 12 slices deli ham
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 18 thin slices tomato
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk
- and stir to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- Divide dough into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll
- each portion into an 8-in. circle.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- bread circles, one at a time, until golden, turning once; drain on
- paper towels. Keep warm.
- Cut each circle in half. On six halves, layer the lettuce, ham,
- onion, cheese and tomato; sprinkle with chilies. Top with remaining
- bread. Yield: 6 servings.