Fry Bread Sandwiches Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 12 slices deli ham
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 18 thin slices tomato
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk and stir to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- Divide dough into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 8-in. circle.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry bread circles, one at a time, until golden, turning once; drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- Cut each circle in half. On six halves, layer the lettuce, ham, onion, cheese and tomato; sprinkle with chilies. Top with remaining bread. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Fry Bread Sandwiches
Sort By :
"We made the fry bread only, using dry milk powder and water instead of the milk. It made more like 8 or 10 breads, but I must have been using a smaller skillet than her. These were good, nicely flavored and chewy. We made tacos with them."
"This fry bread is fantastic no matter how you fix the sandwich. Highly recommend."