Fruity French Toast Sandwiches
From Granbury, Texas, Jessica Walston promises that these pretty little breakfast sandwiches are “quick, easy and taste like they came straight from a French kitchen.”
TIP: THIS RECIPE IS A GREAT WAY TO USE UP LEFTOVER FRENCH BREAD AND IS EASILY DOUBLED FOR GUESTS.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 medium firm banana, sliced
- 4 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine strawberry and banana slices. Place 1/4 cup on two
- slices of bread, arranging fruit in a single layer; top with
- remaining bread. Set remaining fruit aside.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg, cream, cinnamon and vanilla. Dip
- both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture. Heat oil on a griddle;
- cook French toast for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden
- brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve with reserved
- fruit. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 218 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat,