Fruity Cranberry Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), quartered and skin removed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients; top with chicken. Pour orange juice over chicken and sprinkle with orange peel. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- 2. Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- 3. Combine butter and flour until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in chicken and brown sugar; heat through. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 403 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Reviews for Fruity Cranberry Chicken
"This was ok. I only used 1 Tbsp. flour, and it still thickened nicely. And I only used about 1 tsp. brown sugar because the dish was already so sweet from the o.j. The cranberries were mush by the end of the cooking time; it did not look like the picture. I think it would be better with boneless chicken, a shorter cooking time, and less sugar and/or some vinegar to counter the sweetness."
"We found the dish dissapointing. It did not have enough cranberry flavor."
"very good, I think I will add some chopped apples in it next time"
"I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I just cut them into chunks before I put them in the slow cooker. I was very easy."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.