Cooking with cranberries is a happy habit for Sandy Brooks of Tacoma, Washington. "I like to include them because the fruit is filled with vitamin C - and because my husband and son love the flavor," she smiles. "This chicken recipe is the one they request the most."
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), quartered and skin removed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients; top with chicken. Pour orange juice over chicken and sprinkle with orange peel. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Combine butter and flour until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in chicken and brown sugar; heat through. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Chicken in Country Woman September/October 1998, p40
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Fruity Cranberry Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review