When it comes to whole grains, these muffins pack a triple-whammy. Joyce Smith Williams of San Antonio, Texas, combines All-Bran cereal, ground flaxseed and oats to make these healthful muffins. If you have a small household, simply freeze the extras.
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup grated peeled apple
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In another bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, applesauce and oil until blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the apple, carrots, raisins and pecans.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Fruity Carrot Muffins in Country Woman January/February 2006, p41
Reviews for Fruity Carrot Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 24, 2009
"this is the best healthy recipe i have ever made...i just added extra apples raspberries blueberries and cranberries...and omitted the oil....loved this recipe"