Fruits of the Forest Pie
Five kinds of nuts are squirreled away in this deliciously sweet pie shared by Mary Lou Timpson of Colorado City, Arizona. There's a crunch in every bite.
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup salted cashew halves
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond
- edge of plate and flute edges. Sprinkle macadamia nuts and hazelnuts
- into the pastry shell. Arrange cashews, pecans and almonds over the
- chopped nuts.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, corn syrup, sugars, butter, vanilla
- and salt until well blended. Pour over nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. (Cover edges with foil during the last 10
- minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.) Cool on a wire rack.