Fruited Wild Rice Salad
I created this salad recipe to feature wild rice, a delicious state crop, plus other harvest ingredients like apples and pecans. I make bushels of it each August when the small nearby village of Dorset (population 22) hosts several thousand visitors at the Taste of Dorset festival.
-Larren Wood, Nevis, Minnesota
8-10 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 2 tablespoons each minced fresh mint, parsley and chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Diamond of California Pecan Halves
- Combine dressing ingredients; set aside. Cook rice according to
- package directions; drain if needed and allow to cool. In a large
- bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add raisins, grapes, mint,
- parsley, chives and rice. Add dressing and toss. Season with salt
- and pepper. Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Just before
- serving, add pecans and toss lightly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 280 calories, 14 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.