Fruited Wild Rice Pilaf Recipe
Crunchy apples and pecans give traditional wild rice a tasty twist. This dish pairs well with a variety of meaty entrees. —Becky Burch, Marceline, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 55 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the water, rice and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- 2. Remove from the heat; fold in apple, pecans and lemon peel if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 231 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC