- 1 large watermelon
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 medium cantaloupe, cut into 1-inch balls, divided
- 1 red chili pepper
- 4 medium navel oranges
- 2 pounds green grapes
- Wooden skewers (12 inches)
- Thoroughly wash and dry watermelon. With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of watermelon so it lies flat.
- Using a small sharp knife, lightly score a horizontal cutting line around middle of the melon, leaving 4 in. on each side of stem end unscored for the head. Next, score a vertical line over top of melon, connecting both ends of the horizontal line. Using a long knife, cut through melon along the vertical cutting line. (Stop cutting at the horizontal cutting line.) Then, cut through the melon along the horizontal cutting line. Gently pull off cut section.
- For turkey's head, cut a 2 in. half-circle at top. Make a scalloped edge, using the rounded edge of a 1-in. circle cutter. With a sharp knife, cut along the scalloped lines; discard scrapes. For eyes, insert a clove into the center of each of two cantaloupe balls. Using toothpicks, attach eyes; add a chili pepper wattle.
- With a vegetable peeler, cut peel from oranges. (Save oranges for another use). Thread grapes, orange peel and remaining cantaloupe balls onto skewers; add to turkey for feathers. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Fruited Turkey
Sort By :
This is very cute and fun to do. We didn't follow the receipt exactly. We decided to buy fruits that we knew we would eat. we did a small watermelon with kumquats, cherries, and red grapes. People at first didn't want to eat it because they thought it was so cute. This is something to let kids help do by letting them put the fruit on the skewers while you continue to cook something else.
A real cute idea. You can include a picture with your recipe. I right click on the picture, choose copy image, then paste where I want it. I print all my recipes on 4x6 cards with a picture at the top right under the name. When you paste the picture you can click on it and then resize.
I went and emailed the fruited turkey picture to myself then printed it out. It still would have been much better to have it with the recipe.
Just one comment - Need Picture!
NEED PICTURE WITH RECIPE