Fruited Rice Mix Recipe
The way I came upon this mix is very fittinga friend gave me a container of it as a gift one Christmas. The next year, I gave it to many friends, all dressed up in decorated mason jars. Every single one asked for the recipe! I learned to cook through trial and error. I've been doing it for 30 years...it's my favorite pastime. My husband and I live on a 50-acre farm, where we breed and race horses. We also raise chickens and lambs. Our six children are grown, and now we're the grandparents of eight youngsters.
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped dried apples
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- To prepare rice mix: In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup mix with 2 cups water and 2 tablespoons butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Yield: about 5 cups dry mix (each cup makes 4-6 servings).
Originally published as Fruited Rice Mix in Country Woman November/December 1993, p29
Reviews for Fruited Rice Mix(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 30, 2012
Thank you so much for resurrecting this recipe! I had lost it and now it's here! This makes the most delicious side dish. I've even had it for breakfast!
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Rice Side Dish Recipes >
- Rice Side Dishes >