Fruited Macaroni Salad Recipe
My guests rave about this salad. The big surprise is that there is no macaroni taste and it is not too sweet. Besides, the fruits mentioned in the recipe, I'll add strawberries, blueberries, raspberries...whatever may be in season.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Drain juice from oranges and pineapple into a 1-cup measuring cup; cover and refrigerate fruit. Add enough water to the juice, if needed, to measure 1 cup; stir into the sugar mixture until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. Reduce heat; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 3. In a bowl, combine the macaroni and cooked dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Just before serving, fold in whipped topping and reserved oranges and pineapple. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 177 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC