Fruited Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Drain juice from oranges and pineapple into a 1-cup measuring cup; cover and refrigerate fruit. Add enough water to the juice, if needed, to measure 1 cup; stir into the sugar mixture until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. Reduce heat; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 3. In a bowl, combine the macaroni and cooked dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Just before serving, fold in whipped topping and reserved oranges and pineapple. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 177 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Fruited Macaroni Salad
"I didn't like this at all. Had a funny flavor and just didn't taste good at all."
"This is a very tasty salad on the lighter side. It was a hit on 4th of July!"