Mom and I made a great team in the kitchen, cooking and baking for hours at a time. I treasure this holiday favorite from her the most.
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 3 small red potatoes, cubed
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup prepared mincemeat
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-3/4 cups frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed and chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Place rutabaga in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add red potatoes and enough additional water to cover. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and enough additional water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir in the orange juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the mincemeat, butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, ginger and cinnamon; heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, apple and lemon juice. Drain vegetables; stir in fruit mixture. Transfer to a greased 4-qt. baking dish. Add mincemeat; stir gently. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until fruit is tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Fruited Holiday Vegetables in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p56
Reviews for Fruited Holiday Vegetables
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 28, 2012
"I had never had mincemeat before putting it in this dish, and it compliments the vegetables perfectly."