Fruited Fish Recipe
I served this fish at a banquet. The theme was tropical—and this sweet treat caught everyone's eye!—Becky Vroon, Charlotte, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3 kiwifruit, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup blueberries or halved red grapes
- 1. Cut dough into three pieces: 6-1/2 in., 2 in. and 1-1/2 in. long. On a greased baking sheet, pat or roll the 6-1/2-in. piece into an oval, about 1/3 in. thick, for fish's body. (See diagrams above right for dimensions.)
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the 2-in. piece into the circle; cut in half. Position the half circles at the end of body for tail; press to seal edges. Roll the remaining piece into a square; cut in half diagonally. Place the triangles above and below body for fins; press to seal edges.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. In a bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Transfer fish to a serving platter. With a sharp knife, cut out a small triangle for mouth. Spread cream cheese mixture over entire fish. Arrange fruit as shown in photo. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 315 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC