Fruited Caesar Salad Recipe
"I couldn't find a single Caesar salad recipe I liked, so I combined ingredients from a few recipes and came up with this one," shares Kathy Keleher of Oak Creek, Wisconsin. "The addition of fruit gives this salad such a wonderful flavor. You could use a mango or mixed dried fruit instead of an apple or a pear."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups cubed French bread
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium apple or ripe pear, diced
- 1. For croutons, combine 2 tablespoons oil, one garlic clove and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; let stand for 1 hour. Strain oil and discard garlic. Toss bread cubes the oil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and remaining oil and salt. Mince remaining garlic; stir into dressing.
- 3. Place romaine in a salad bowl; drizzle with dressing. Add the croutons, Parmesan cheese and apple; toss to coat. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC