Fruited Bran Muffins Recipe
Juicy blueberries and apples make a nice addition to these moist, hearty muffins. Bran cereal helps pump up fiber to 5 g. Betsy King - Duluth, Minnesota
- 1-1/2 cups All-Bran
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, banana, molasses and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple and blueberries.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 9 muffins.
1 muffin equals 160 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC