Fruitcake Loaves Recipe
“I got this recipe from my husband's aunt. Everyone likes it, even me, and I was never crazy about fruitcake before. It's very colorful, like a stained glass window.” —JoAnn Huhn, Cleveland, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 pound chopped candied pineapple
- 1 pound red candied cherries
- 1/2 pound walnut halves
- 1/2 pound Brazil nuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the dates, pineapple, cherries and nuts. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into fruit mixture until well coated.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks until slightly thickened. In another bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture until no white streaks remain.
- 3. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Add to fruit mixture; gently fold until blended. Pour into two well-greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- 4. Bake at 300° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in a cool dry place. Using a serrated knife, cut into slices. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 349 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC