- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces red candied cherries, halved
- 4 ounces candied pineapple, diced
- 1-1/2 cups dates, finely cut
- 1/2 cup broken walnuts
- 1/2 cup broken pecans
- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Sift together flour, salt and soda; add to creamed mixture. Stir in fruits and nuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 15 minutes. Store tightly covered; cookies are best after a few days. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Fruitcake Christmas Cookies
"These were soooo yummy...the only difference is I used the ultimate fruitcake fruit mix...I won second place in a cookie contest at work...only missing it by one vote..(it was biased lol )...I had to make them three times this holiday season...once for Thanksgiving...one for Christmas cookie exchange...and again for Christmas..they are actually better if you make them a few days ahead of time and store them in a tight container..its like the juice from the candied fruit sinks in and gives it an incredible taste...definitely a keeper"
"Hazelnuts are also called Filberts. I've seen both names in the supermarket. These cookies are absolutely delicious. I make them every year during Christmas."
"I used fresh dates which were hard to cut up and made a gooey mess in the dough. wished they had more candied pineapple but tasted good. should I used a different kind of dates? also only used walnuts and pecans. think hazel nuts have another name so couldn't find them."
"I used 7 oz of dried fruit (apples, plums, apricots) and diced it in small pieces in place of candied fruit. I also only used peacans that my daughter curshed in a sandwich bag. My daugher doesn't eat fruit cake of any kind, but ate these cookies. There is only a dozen left. A definate add to my recipe list."
"This recipe is a keeper! I didn't have candied pineapple or hazelnuts and they were delicious! Will try this again using all of the ingredients. I got 4 1/2 dozen from this recipe."
"Out of this world delicious..they make great gifts if place in small pretty tins..."
"Out of this world delicious!!! makes a great gift in pretty little tins..."