Fruit Slaw in a Cabbage Bowl
This fresh recipe from Darlene Markel turns ho-hum coleslaw on its headin more ways than one! I take the traditional blend of vegetables for that dish and mix in juicy fruit pieces," begins the Stayton, Oregon cook. "Then I serve the salad inside a hollowed-out cabbage. Both the flavor and "bowl" never fail to draw compliments.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup halved green grapes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- To prepare the cabbage serving bowl, gently peel back outer leaves of
- the cabbage. Hollow out cabbage, leaving a 1/4-in. shell and the
- core intact; set aside. Chop removed cabbage leaves. Place 2 cups
- chopped cabbage in a large bowl (refrigerate remaining cabbage for
- another use). Add oranges, pineapple, carrots, apple and grapes.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, lemon juice, honey
- and ginger; shake well. Pour over slaw and toss to coat. Spoon into
- cabbage bowl. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 133 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.